Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bad day

Have you ever had one of those days when you wake up, and just know that it is going to be your day? You have, right? It is a useless notion. Throw it out of the window.

I was slowly realizing that marital bliss is way overrated just 6 months into my marriage. Not that anything was wrong, just that her constant talking and the need to know everything about everything was beginning to get just a tad annoying. But I had woken up that day feeling like a million dollars, so I chose not to let it bother me and indulged her. I had a hearty breakfast and was ready on time. Now that was something that hadn't happened in a long time. I gathered my wallet and handkerchief. I checked my mobile for messages or missed calls. There were none. The battery meter was showing around 66% power. But I thought I'd squeeze through the day on the remaining charge. Since I had loads of time to reach office, I decided to take the bus instead of my car. Also, I had a meeting in the afternoon, driving back home from which, would have been a nightmare.

We were the middle of July but it hadn't really rained much that year. The meteorological department had put the lack of rains down to a western disturbance or some such, and I for one was tired of lugging a redundant umbrella around all the time. I decided to let it remain at home. Now, on days when I do take the bus to work, the conductor is like my personal coin vending machine. I am not averse to flashing a Rs. 100 note for a five rupee ticket. But that day, I paid him the exact change even if it meant rummaging through my pockets for a good minute or so. He seemed pleasantly surprised.

Work that day was amazing. There was not a single dull moment all morning. Meanwhile, the wife called twice to see what I was up to. I told her about the good day I had been having, and I didn't even have to make anything up! The first half of the day passed by in a jiffy and pretty soon it was time for lunch. I left soon after for my meeting.

The client's office was a long way off, but I loved going there. It was in a part of town which still retained much of its old world charm. Besides, it was located in a Victorian era building bang in front of the famous Sivashambu temple. Another place which I loved for its historical value if not religious significance. It could not have been more than 2'o clock in the afternoon, but it was already dark. However, true to the weatherman's word, the rain stayed away. After an hour and a half's journey, I reached the client's office, only to be told that he himself was out and was expected back in another 15 minutes.

All of a sudden, there was a lot of commotion in the office. Almost all the employees were gathered in front of the TV in the reception and were watching the news. Rains had hit the city. Hard. In a matter of minutes, news crews were relaying visuals from different parts of the city under varying levels of submergence. I still had the gumption to wait for my client even as his employees started vacating the office. I waited till the last of them were ready to leave. It had become clear a long time ago that the client wasn't going to show up. But I stayed put hoping for a break in the showers. Of course it never came.

When I reached the main street it was virtually empty. Two things immediately became very clear. First, I had no reprieve from the rain courtesy of having left my umbrella at home, and second, the fear of heavy rains had driven all forms of transport away from the roads. I crossed the street and stood at the base of the steps ascending to the Sivashambu temple. I decided to call up the wife and inform her of my whereabouts. But no sooner had the call connected than she started chastising me for not taking my umbrella. The call disconnected mid way through her sermon. That's right, the battery was spent. I realized I had another lecture in the waiting at home for not charging my mobile phone. Meanwhile inside the temple, the evening aarti was going on in full swing. Apparently, the priests could not take a rain check. I decided to look for a PCO and make my SOS call before returning to the shelter of the temple. I secretly hoped it'd not be required.
My day, which had started on such a positive note was slowly disintegrating into one of the worst ones I had ever had. As if the incessant rains weren't a problem, I almost fell into a drain...twice. I was cold and hungry. My socks were wet and walking was a harrowing experience. On top of it all, there did not seem to be any PCO's around. Damn the mobile revolution. Ultimately, when I did manage to find one after walking and stumbling for almost an hour, I couldn't use it. I had given away all my change to the bus conductor that morning. I was frustrated, but there was nothing I could do. I decided to wait in the temple and started retracing my steps. I had barely reached it when I spotted something.

My car, with the wife driving it. How could she have found me? It was impossible. I mean, she hadn't given me a chance to speak during our recent conversation. How could she have known? My mind raced into overdrive trying to find answers, and that's when it hit me. She must have heard the aarti in the background when I called and figured out my location. She saw me and slowed down. I got in the car.

After I was sufficiently dry, I told her of my clever little deduction. She seemed surprised. I was surprised at her being surprised.

"No one can  find anyone based on the ringing bells of a temple in a town that literally has thousands of them."

"But, then how did you...?"

"You were very happy this morning. You were talking more than you usually do and had specifically mentioned this meeting. Don't you remember? I figured you'd be here around the time this heavy downpour started, and could use a ride home..." I could only smile. "...You should have brought your umbrella today. Now you are sure to catch a cold, and then I'll catch it too. I hate it. And what happened to your phone? I've only called you like a million times...Don't tell me its gotten wet. That is why you should listen to me.Why are you smiling? You just remembered a joke, didn't you? Yes, it's a joke and you are not telling me. You never tell me anything...." I realized that marriage has its plus sides after all. 

Have you ever had one of those days when you wake up, and just know that it is going to be your day? Well, I certainly have and that was the story of one such day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one man! really nice..

Kshiti said...

I really liked the way you held readers attention through out, your vocab, nice story line....

Anirudh said...

Thank you!
@Maulik: When are you going to update your blog bro? It's been too long.

@Kshiti: Thank you :) There will be many more stories like this one..keep reading!