Saturday, December 11, 2010

Walking the talk - Episode 2

Les gens, today we talk about a very important topic. Amongst people in my generation, it has been quietly gaining attention for the past few years, and today has become a top priority. In fact, I think its currently beating beer and shopping too. Some have already experienced it, and it seems that most of the others want to do it sooner rather than later. No, I'm not talking about sex. Today's topic is much more complicated than that. Yessir! We're talking about marriage here.

I was walking home after work one evening. As usual, I was deep in conversation with myself and the discussion quickly turned to the topic of marriages, and later (to my dismay) my marriage.

So winter's upon us. Soon, the marriage season will commence.

There is nothing new about that...is there?

Well yeah, so many of my friends are doing it/planning to do it this year! I mean I look at all these marriage invitations in their pastel colurs and glitter covered envelopes (seriously, stop doing that) and think "It wasn't long ago that this guy was winning farting contests", or "No more free booze", or "Time to strike another name off the drunk dialing list".

Yeah, they've grown up now. They've become more responsible. Besides, everybody does stupid things when they're young. Want to start recalling yours? 

I think I'll pass on that one. But what surprises me really is the pace at which this change is happening.We're only 25 for god's sake! We've just taken over the reins of our lives. Shouldn't we enjoy this freedom for some time before settling down?

Perhaps. But why do you think there should be a waiting period? I mean, you've already started working, and unless something radical happens, a few years down the line will see you doing the same things you're doing now. You see the right person, you like each other, you get married. Simple?

The hell it isn't, and stop sounding like my mother. Let me elucidate. Like we agreed, its only been a short while since we started fending for ourselves. Choosing the right partner is one of the most important decisions of our lives. To make any good decision, one needs experience and we don't have that because we've just started fending for ourselves. See the circle there? It's scary!!

Yeah I do. There is a 50% chance that you'll screw up this important decision. But whatever happens, I'm sure that eventually everything will be alright. It always does.

Chance? Probability? I hate that shit!

Hey...from the time the right gametes fused to create you, to this day, every event had multiple possiblities. Even if one of those had had a different outcome, who knows...where you would have been. Yet we're having this conversation here today. You're healthy, have a good family and good friends, are well (,) educated, earning, drive your own car etc. It's all been good.

But that doesn't prove anything. I'd be driving a bigger car, and have eight pack abs for all I know. How do I know that the best outcomes have happened to me?

I guess what you're saying is right...and there have been times when better things could have happened. But you'll have to agree when I say that on an average, probability has been kind to you and there is no reason for that trend to change all of a sudden.

So I should not be scared because I have probability and statistics on my side? Is that what you're saying?

Yes

Fuck.

No comments: